For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit, in which he went and proclaimed to the spirits in prison, because they formerly did not obey, when God’s patience waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through water. Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God, with angels, authorities, and powers having been subjected to him. 1 Peter 3:18-22
A. Christ’s Victorious Achievement for Us
1. Created a justified people: 1 Peter 3:18a, 2 Cor. 5:21, Rom. 3:21-26
2. Created a fellowshipping people: 1 Peter 3:18b, Eph. 2:14-22, 1 John 1:1-4
B. Christ’s Victorious Achievement Proclaimed by Us
1. In the world: 1 Peter 3:15, Mark 16:15, Acts 8:1-4
2. In the unseen world: 1 Peter 3:19-20, Eph. 3:7-10
C. Christ’s Victorious Achievement Displayed Through Us
1. In the world through His church: 1 Peter 2:9, 1 Timothy 3:14-16
2. In eternity before the throne: 1 Peter 3:22, Rev. 5:13-14
The Apostles’ Creed
I believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and Jesus Christ his only Son our Lord; who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead, and buried; he descended into hell; the third day he rose again from the dead; he ascended into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead. I believe in the Holy Ghost; the holy catholic Church; the communion of saints; the forgiveness of sins; the resurrection of the body; and the life everlasting. Amen
*The term “catholic” means “universal”, throughout all ages and generations.
APPLYING THE WORD
1. Is the victory of the Gospel a daily reality in my life?
2. Is Christ’s authority in heaven my authority on earth?