The heavens declare the glory of God,
and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.
2 Day to day pours out speech,
and night to night reveals knowledge.
3 There is no speech, nor are there words,
whose voice is not heard.
4 Their voice goes out through all the earth,
and their words to the end of the world.
In them he has set a tent for the sun,
5 which comes out like a bridegroom leaving his chamber,
and, like a strong man, runs its course with joy.
6 Its rising is from the end of the heavens,
and its circuit to the end of them,
and there is nothing hidden from its heat.
A. The Glory of God Defined
“The glory of God is the excellency of His Holy Person shining forth in the radiance, beauty, magnificence, and greatness of His eternal and unchanging essence to be adored, enjoyed, and reflected back to Him from al creation particularly His people.”
B. The Glory of God: His Desire – Our Created Purpose
1. God desires us to behold His glorious Person: 2 Cor. 4:6
2. God created us to resemble Him (His Image)
3. God re-created us to reflect Him in the world: 2 Corinthians 4:4-6
C. The Glory of God Revealed
1. In the Old Testament
a. God’s glory revealed in creation: Psalm 19:1-6
– It is continuous: Psalm 19:2
– It is diverse: Psalm 19:3-4a
– It is awe-producing: Psalm 19:5
– It is universal: Psalm 19:6
– It is inescapable: Psalm 19:6
b. God’s glory revealed in judgment: Exodus 14:1-29, 2 Thess. 1:8-10
c. God’s glory revealed in deliverance of His people: Exodus 14:30-31, Jude 24-25
d. God’s glory revealed in His presence with His people
– Individually: Moses, Exodus 33:7-23
– Corporately: The Tabernacle and Temple